Feb 13, 2012

That Petrol Emotion - Le Transbordeur (Villeurbanne, France) 1993

This show, like many of the ones I write about, changed my life. I discovered that music actually matters, generally speaking, and matters for me, especially. It was in a mid-sized venue, and the power that was in this music was like an electric shock. The band was playing just like if there were no tomorrow, and I'm still not sure there were a tomorrow, even now.

That Petrol Emotion is one of the best band that ever crossed my path. I read an interview in a magazine, and the answers, and even more the pictures, really created something in my teenage mind. A few time later, while listening to the radio, I heard about a contest, the price being a ticket for their show. I phoned, just answered the question, which was 'How is the new album named', and won.

I found a friend to come with me, providing I would pay half of his own ticket. I couldn't go there alone, I was so young... To be true we were the younger ones at the venue.

I cannot remember anything about the first band, but the That Petrol Emotion set is still very fresh in my memory. I remember a band rocking, definitively rocking, deploying, or I should say carpet-bombing, its wonderful songs in a totally perfect manner. With this gig, my own standard for what a good show should be raised up, astronomically, instantly.

From this day I always had interest in music. Before this day, I enjoyed music, but after, I started to live it, which is a bit different. I discovered that songs are not only these little things, always available, that you listen at home. They can also get wild, live things. And wild, this show was, undoubtedly. For a few time, on a particular song, the bass went mute, that's what we have been told. I hadn't noticed. I am sure that in the room, very few if any had noticed.

This band, on this particular tour, was really inventing something new. Their music was very different from what had been done before, there were, at the time, an handful of band like this. Maybe was it an exciting period, I'm not sure, but there were exciting bands playing exciting songs, this, I can tell for sure.

I know that many people who were at this show will agree, it was a great one. I am so thankful to the band who have given so much on this very special evening. A thing I could do was to write about what I saw, in the hope that everything will not get forgotten.

No comments: