Feb 22, 2012

Pixies - Come On Pilgrim

Once again, we'll talk in the 'More reviews' section about a pretty much old release, that was issued in 1987 by indie label 4AD. Although it can be found on CD on its own, it was also published bundled with the next band's release, the full-length 'Surfer Rosa', which was also published without Come On Pilgrim. Seems complicated ? There's, Come On Pilgrim, there's, Surfer Rosa, and there's also Come On Pilgrim AND Surfer Rosa. Three different physical releases for two different records.

You may be able to find it on most major music platforms and at most record shops.

Come On Pilgrim is the debut release from Pixies. And, immediately, the band defined its own style that has influenced too much musicians to list them here. The most famous example is, for sure, Nirvana ; Kurt Cobain used to mention how much he loved Pixies each time he had an opportunity to do so.

Pixies' musician are, undoubtedly, very gifted. From incredible bass lines - you know, that kind of bass that often plays two notes per time, continuously, tadadada tadadada tadadada tadadada - to marvellous guitar riffs, from astounding drums to awesome rhythmic guitar, from a way to sing that came a de facto standard, talking about the lead vocals, to backing vocals that add so much values to the songs that I cannot imagine the tracks without them...

Only with this, the band was pretty much doomed to change deeply culture history. But besides this, the song writing is simply at the top. When I say at the top, I mean, hey, it properly redefined how songs can be written. The most visible part is the quiet-loud-quiet formula, but the more important for me is when the songs play with numbers... Loops after 12 times instead of the usual 16 as a quick example. Not to mention the melodies, the chords...

I used to listen to this band, after discovering them in the mid 90's (that is to say, after their split and before their comeback), continuously. It was a bit obsessive, I must confess. A common point with other release that already got featured in this section. Now, years later, I no longer listen to their records as much as before, but this is simply because I know them so well that I don't need to actually put the stereo on. These songs are in my head. And this band is still among my all-times favourites. I used to listen to it so often for more than 10 years, and the magic never vanished. Now I'm on a break, but who knows, maybe someday I'll start another 10 years Pixies-listening session.

Why do I write first about 'Come On Pilgrim', rather than any other of their releases, which are, absolutely without exception, masterpieces (including live ones) ?

Simply because Come On Pilgrim has been and currently is, my favourite Pixies release. It evolves from time to time. Sometime this is Surfer Rosa. Sometime this is Doolittle. Sometime this is Bossanova. And very often this is Come On Pilgrim.

This is probably due to the fact that the tracks on this EP are, well, just totally, insanely great. I especially love 'Levitate me', 'I've Been Tired', and 'Holiday Song'.

Well, I say EP, but there's actually 8 tracks on it, it can be defined as an album as well. An album that wouldn't be very long, but an album nevertheless.

I don't know what I should say to make you make yourself a favour and start to search for this release. I think the facts I listed above should be a sufficient reason for this to happen. If not, just let me add that any of my close IRL friends are Pixies fan. This is not just me. The quality of this band are so easy to see, that anyone, just after listening to the releases a bit, is very likely, not only to like, not only to love, but actually to become an hardcore fan.

No comments: