Feb 4, 2012

Henparty - Lads

Are you in a hurry ? Well, I know what a hurry is. Then, if you don't want to spend your precious time letting the slime that came from my not-properly-working brain make its way to your mind, I suggest you stop reading shortly, just on time to get the link allowing you to download this album, legally and for free. But, beware, cave canem, this wonderful album is made available to the audience courtesy of Rack And Ruin records, a famous netlabel that went unmaintained about one year ago. So there's a real possibility for the previous link to be no longer working sooner or later, if by chance the label was going offline ! Then, hurry up !

[update Feb, 9 2012 : the next paragraph is outdated. It is now known for sure that this release is open-licensed, but, more importantly, under which exact version - I am very thankful to the Rack And Ruin team for having made this information evidently available on the homepage - which allows to start any of their published recording's download instantly - of the new version of their site, which is now an archive from what was issued when the label was active]

This release is probably open-licensed, but this fact is subject to debate, since the exact license version under which it is made available to the audience is unknown - a common problem with Rack And Ruin records. So then, I suggest, if you got interest in this question, to contact the right owners directly. If you plan to republish this work in any way, as an example. Well, this is just and advice.

As promised in the previous post, I had to write a bit about Henparty. Because this band is so great, that when I discovered their release, I emailed countless friends about it. And the feedback I got from them was 'You were right ! ', my friends liked... Loved ! this album.

I will now try to explain why this album is a great album. I cannot promise I'll be very clear, I cannot promise you will agree with me... But I will nevertheless try.

This is only what the listening of this release suggested to me. I totally agree with the fact that someone else, with, at the origin, exactly the same album, can eventually get totally contrary conclusions.

Remember the mid 2000's ? No ? You are too young ? I remember the mid 2000's. At this time, I was still a gig addict, before my health prevented me to go to as many shows as I would want... And, while going to two or four shows a week, I finally noticed a few common things in the music of many bands I was listening to... One of these things was a slight Young Marble Giants influence... I add that the music that used to be made at this time was of a really good overall quality.

Then, five years later, came Henparty. And Henparty achieved perfectly the extraordinary difficult task to capture the spirit of a certain mid-2000's scene, and then to improve it in a very spectacular manner, to finally get something that, while being totally new, is also the kind of thing that anyone who use to listen to the music that was made in the mid-2000's should definitively enjoy. And not only a bit. But in a huge, huge manner.

You don't care about the mid-2000's scene ? This is not a problem. Since, the inner qualities of this recording are literally so clearly viewable that even if you never heard about Spider And The Webs or 99, you still have the full potential to become an hardcore Henparty fan.

If I had to sum up briefly, I would say, you -as far as I know- missed this release until today. That is, I think, a good reason to immediately stop what you were doing and dive into Henparty's music, which is, that's usual with releases featured on this blog (at least until now), a, a, a... Come on, you know what I am going to write... Yes ! You are right ! A milestone in history of music !

A last thing to put an end to this review : Henparty is an Irish duet. This had to be said.

No comments: