Feb 12, 2012

Still Living Creature - Ten Songs - Shangri-l speaks

I don't know, maybe some people are not very interested in what I write for this series of posts where musician speak about their own recordings, and if you don't like them you can let me know. Today the topic is the 'Ten Song' album by Still Living Creature, which is a one-man-band and I am the only member.

Are you in a hurry ? You can stop reading and download the releases instead of this, it is available, currently using BitTorrent, from Slcnc Music, the record label. CD-Rs or tapes are available too, in a name-your-price manner

Back in the beginning of Fall 2007, I was pretty much desperate and decided to become the next big thing in the electronic music scene at large. I wrote a few songs with this goal in mine, and since I used to record electronic music since the early 2000's, it was not very complicated for me to do so. But I didn't publish them.

A few month later, in Spring 2008, I thought about it once again and recorded the 'Ten Songs' album, that I published immediately. I hadn't published anything since my early years' band's EP, back in 2002. Six years without issuing an album is long, but in the meanwhile I had been into Gorbie's Stuff, who would publish things eventually, but it wasn't done at the time.

There's currently 9 songs in the release. The tenth got removed after realising that I dubbed note for note a Pixies guitar riff. Fortunately enough, no one had bought the album when I removed the song.

Because, this album was initially sold in digital format. Later, it got downloadable for free and even later, open-licensed. I never sold any copy.

This 9-tracks goes into the 'Still Living Creature albums that are not my favourite one', which is a not-so-much crowed category. Mainly, there's 'Flowers For Helena', there's 'Blue Monday' and there's this one.

I always used the same trick : I added some sound layers as the track goes on, to sum up. Excepting for 'Neurosis' where the contrary was done, the songs starts with many layers that disappear one by one.

It is, already, a long time ago. Maybe. A bit. Almost four years. There where fans since the beginning, some are still listening to what is issued, some others no longer get informed about the new releases as far as I know. The sound of the project mutated deeply over time. When I listen back to the debut release, I like the bass playing on each time, the riffs and layers that come and go, the overall melodic approach in the musical writing. I like less the fact that most -if not any- of these songs give as much as possible in an instant manner, and maybe, on the long run, this can be seen as less interesting than songs that still have little surprises left for future listening.

No comments: