Feb 3, 2012

Matmix - Not on an album

In a hurry ? Well, you can stream and/or download Matmix's stuff for free and legally from Dogmazic.net.

This is open-licensed music. You can make copies for your friends.

Matmix is a French music artist, singing in English. His work is like, say, industrial rock with a pop sensibility. But category are easily blurred when talking about Matmix... All I can say, is that there's often overdriven guitar - but not always -, that electronic stuff is often used - but not always - and that the overall result is simply excellent.

I discovered Matmix because he liked my stuff. That's that simple. And, since he liked my stuff, I though "hey, maybe we have similar taste - I should give this guy's records a listen".

And the result was beyond my craziest dreams. Matmix's work - he started playing in the field since, say 2006 or something like that - is simply beyond words. Worst, this guy is getting *even* better as time goes on, and since he started with some really good tunes, I let you imagine how far he got now.
[UPDATE : thank to the artist's feedback, it can now be said that even if Matmix published exclusively tracks that he created since 2005, he actually started to work on the project's music in 1999. He started publishing once he got serious feedback about how good was the result]

Matmix is sometimes playing his songs alongside with a band - in such case, the project has the 'Les Gelées Grises' name. Les Gelées Grises, which is currently in standby mode, and whose lineup is evolving over time - but, each time, with Matt à the vox - has published a few music videos, you can give them a watch here. These vids are very rough, recorded at the band's rehearsals a few years back, but they definitively worth the time you'll invest in them.

Matmix released about one hundred songs. All of them are excellent, and some are even better than that. My favourite ones are the newest. But your mileage may vary.

In my craziest dreams, I hope someday Matmix classifies his numerous songs into albums, so then I can review them one by one here. But in the meanwhile, most of what he produced is not album-labelled. With the notable exception of the 'head hosting' album.

To sum up this project, I would simply say : Hey ! What are you still doing here ! Get off and listen !

No comments: