Feb 23, 2012

Land Lovers - Confidants

Are you in a hurry ? In such case, you can stream this release in its entirety for free, and/or buy it as digital files or on audio CD, straight from the band, trough their Bandcamp page. But please, please, don't stop at the first track, which is a bit different from the other ones.

Do you know 'Teenage Kicks' ? This is a song from The Undertones, which was John Peel's all time favourite.

Well, this release makes me think of 'Teenage Kicks'. A bit more poppy, a bit. But the quality of the melodies and the energy is the same.

The band contacted me - nice, ain't it ? - I suppose this is because, for some reasons, they were thinking I could enjoy what they create. No need to say they hit the bull's eye. This album is insanely great.

Not only because it is very well produced, written and performed. Not only because its incredible blend of power and fragility. To be true I still don't know exactly why I like - love - it so much. But if an album deserves to be featured here (and, as a reminder, I for now review only albums and EPs that are, according to me, exceptional), 'Confidants' is this album. While listening to these eleven tracks, I knew I found something simply excellent.

The album was issued less than six months ago, back in 2011. And, according to the band's press release, he gathered not only very good reviews, but was also selected as the 'top 2011 album' of many, many bloggers. And I can understand why. Just because this is the kind of release that you - yes, you - should absolutely not sleep on. I know, it can seem a bit peremptory to write such a thing. But, while I actually don't know you, I suppose you didn't land on Underketing without reason. And theses reasons make me think that you are very likely to love this release as much as I do.

Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah. The album is playing in my headphones right now (because it's late at night, here, currently) and my opinion about it is strengthening each time I listen to it once more. 2012 is starting in a good way, I think. I discovered a few excellent releases since the beginning of the year, and this one is just making me think that this is only the beginning. While mainstream, established labels didn't release anything that I loved since the Spider And The Webs EP, and it was years ago, in the meanwhile the self-released, netlabel and micro-label scene is re-inventing music.

With true lovers of real good music such as Land Lovers to save us - I write this to express exactly what I want to express, they save us, from boredom, from lack of enthusiasm, from things like that - I now know there's still hope.

You know, I use to review strange, and often lofi things. This is not the case for this release. This release is a pure rock marvel, that will shine and emit its good vibes for the next few centuries. If not dozens of centuries. If not, even more than this. If you are looking for really good music, part poppy, with as well a lot of rock energy in it, you found something by coming here.

What do I have to mention, outside what I already said, about this album ? I like the vocals a lot. I can't wait until tomorrow in order to play it loud. I emailed my friends about it, and I still have many more people to email, just because I don't want them to live another day without having the opportunity to discover such an excellent piece of music. Also, this album is packed with dynamic, it is not flat, it is nuanced...

But I know I take a chance to become boring, simply listing the outstanding qualities of this release. Go give it a listen. Then you'll understand what I mean.

No comments: