Feb 11, 2012

Hüsker Dü - Zen Arcade

[Note : this post fits into the newly created 'More reviews' category, which is about recordings that wouldn't fit in the 'Reviews' category. If you subscribed to this blog's message stream but do not want to see this category's messages, please refer to the Subscribe page where you'll find several options to filter what you get from your subscription]

This is the kind of release currently available trough many ones among the major internet music platforms, on some places you'll maybe be able to stream it for free, on some other you'll maybe be able to pay and download it, and you can get it on CD too.

I met this release a long time ago, and I loved it instantly. Later, I loved it more and more. Now I don't know which level I reached, but it is probably quite high.

Published since 1984 on the SST label, this is the kind of release that can literally haunt you for years. Once your path crossed the one from 'Pink Turns To Blue', 'Never Talking To You Again', 'What's Going On', or some other of the tunes you can find on this 23-tracks release that you'll like - and there's many more that I would like to list, you now live a different life. This band has the ability to teleport you in a better place. A strange, part grey and part blue place where things are not working the way they use to. I simply cannot express how much I love this album.

I kept on listening to it during many years. I still cannot say much about it, but I can say how much this album is important for me and how important it was that I write about it to have this done, definitively done. Because I live with the weight of this album on the back for years, it was necessary that I open the floodgates and start talking about how great, immensely great this album is. Just because, I know for sure there's still many people who never heard of Zen Arcade and they still won't until you tell them about it. That's the kind of things this album makes to you, it turns you into someone different, someone who will recommend this album.

Closest among my friends, there's a few musician that were in some bands while I was in them too. Most of them are hardcore fans of this release. Like many people, we heard of Hüsker Dü due to Kurt Cobain endlessly telling about them each time he was interviewed - the ones who didn't, heard about due to the ones who did. There's some bands I discovered in the 90's whom releases were my fellow for years, still are, and probably still will. There's Nirvana, The Clash, Pixies and Hüsker Dü, as quick examples.

There's releases that can be an always renewed source of enjoyment, and Zen Arcade is among these ones. This is my favourite release from the band, and I'll sum up a bit by saying that now I'd be very pleased if you started to search a mean to listen to it.

No comments: