Feb 21, 2012

Grand Pocket Orchestra - Ronald & Sylma

Are you in a hurry ? Not a problem. Although the official issuing of the release is planned for Friday, February 24, 2012, to be true you can already get it in digital format - and preorder the CD as well - from Grand Pocket Orchestra's Bandcamp. So it is not absolutely necessary you keep on reading. You can simply go there instead, and listen to the whole release for free, providing you have Flash installed. If you don't know what it is, you have, unless you are browsing this form a phone.

Currently, GPO has several members in common with No Monster Club, which is a good starting point. I was a bit afraid, I must admit. Would this new album be that good ? I mean, good enough to have it reviewed here ?

Well, take the best bits of The Clash, The Jam (yes, yes, I am serious), lock them down in a bottle, bury it deep, wait a few century to make sure they will get really angry, at a point they have no other option than to turn into a marvel of pop serenity. Then open the bottle. Or, ahem, first, locate the place where you buried it and dig. Then, open the bottle.

You got me ? Well, this is still far from what this album actually is. It should outsell Ravel's Bolero. It is so great that you would have to pay me more that you have got - even if you are Bill Gates - in order to have me not talking about it here.

Now you got a little more accurate idea about how good this release is ? Yes ? No ?

No ? So I'll try to explain a bit more. Metaphors are cheap. Ok. Just let's says that vocals are amazing and guitars are sharp. Song-writing is, to sum up, probably second to none, or at least it's a draw with the best ones. To quote a very popular parody of a 90's TV show, je suis boulversifié. At the third track, I started emailing people about this album. Now I can't wait until I got my CD. I met one of these releases that are so huge that... That... Oh, wait, I know what to do. I'll just tell you to stop reading this review and go to the place mentioned above in order to listen. This is not the way I will deserve my salary, I know, but I am running out of tactics. How can I make readers understand that if they keep on living in this world without having listened to this 'Ronald & Sylma', it's just like if they slept on MC5 or The Stooges or The Velvet Underground in the late 60's ?

Great albums do not need a long review, necessary, sometimes they do, and maybe this one deserves such a review. But I will not write a long review. I am not a gifted reviewer, as you may know, and I will sum up a bit : when talking about what pop should be, GPO is defining the concept.

No comments: