May 18, 2012

Me In The Bath - The Month - Shangri-l speaks

So, there's still a section on Underketing for band members to write about their own recordings, and I am still the only one writing for it. Today, I'll introduce a recently published Me In The Bath album, "The Month", which is currently available trough Bandcamp or Slcnc Music.

If I had to sum up briefly, I would say, "No more pop" ! With the previous release, I had been more poppy than usual, and with this new one I wanted to go back to a more noisy, experimental sound, but nevertheless as always a little melodic. The previous release wasn't that pop, this was, to be true, noisy pop, but this new one is far more strange, awkward, and uses a lot of strange keys.

I wanted things to happen fast. On a morning, I started recording height drum tracks, all of them improvised. I added then height tracks of guitar, height tracks of bass, height tracks of voice, improvising each time. Then I had the album. It has only been a matter of hours.

I'm especially proud of "At Noon", "I Got Your Serial Number Baby", and "Such A Thing", which are well equilibrated between noisy pop and noise rock. But you may prefer other tracks on this release, depending on what your tastes are. In any case, I warn you once again, this is a strange, awkward album, and I would not recommend it to anyone.

I also like a lot the bass and lead guitar parts on "Rice". With this song I achieved something really different of what I use to do, and this is fine. The key is inspired by non-western music.

If you already heard things I produced, and if you like tracks like "Bots", you may like this release as well - it is less overdriven, but the spirit remains the same. If you like the poppy side of Me In The Bath, well, I'm not sure. There's still pop parts in this album, but it is generally speaking experimental and strange, bizarre. I would nevertheless suggest you to give it a quick try, just in case.

I'm, to be true, happy with the final result. This is not mainstream music, this is still enjoyable, I hope there will be people in this world to give this recording a try and listen to it. I cannot say if I did my best or not, but, being deliberate or accidental, the album is here, 8 excellent songs to wait quietly for the summer.

No comments: