May 11, 2012

The Black Keys - El Camino

Are you in a hurry ? If you want to, you can skip reading this review and start searching for this album, instead. Since it is a release from a major music label, it is likely to be featured on many streaming platform, digital shop, and at many physical shops. Alternatively buy links are provided at the end of this post.

This release came to me trough a very particular way, because I got the CD as a gift from a friend, a friend who knows perfectly what kind of music I like and enjoy. I was pretty much sure, then, that it would be the kind of release that would fit for an Underketing review, even before I listened to it. And once I did so, I realised I wasn't wrong.

Beware, this record is under heavy 60's and 70's sound influence, especially (but that's only my opinion) you may be able to locate in it some things that would remind you The Doors.

There's also some 80's and 90's aspects in this music, and a light Queens Of The Stone Age influence (among other ones) for the 2000's touch... Well, it is definitively a 2010's album, you know what I mean...

I like a lot the way it is produced, even more the way it is performed and written. Such pop and heavy blues influences are mixing so well, that I can say this release is undoubtedly a success. You know I usually do not review music from mainstream channels, and this is the first time I review an album coming from there that has been released recently - in the past when I used to write about a major/established indie release, it was one issued decades ago.

So then, if you came by the past on Underketing and read a few reviews I wrote, you may have guessed that I would not have reviewed an album that wouldn't worth it, major release, indie release or whatever. And this album has an huge value. I especially liked the way songs sometimes end abruptly, the great level of achievement in the performing and songwriting process, the great quality in arrangements and solos, well, to sum up this a great piece of music, that I would recommend to many people.

If you liked Queens Of The Stone Age previous releases, you can try this one without fear, you are likely to appreciate it. If you like The Doors, there's things in this album that may remind you them, with a little bit more heavy sound. If you like 60's sound, psych pop, surf and so on, there's also things in this release that could make you enjoy it.

Anyway, this band is getting somehow big these days, and you'll probably be sooner or later in a place where you will hear some of their tunes. Maybe. Depending on where you are living and to which place you use to go. But there's chances.

And maybe, at this time, you will remind how good I though this record was when I wrote my good old Underketing review, and you may listen in a more focused way.

I just add, quickly, that this release, naturally, due to the universe it belongs to, is produced very cleanly, much more cleanly than most of the albums that uses to be reviewed here. But nevertheless, this is not that kind of too loud and unbearable albums, things were done subtlety and the overall result should be enjoyable by the people who use to read reviews I write and like the albums that I like.

Now it's time for this paper to reach its conclusion. To be short, very good album, warmly recommended.

[Update Jan 2013 : the buy links, which were affiliates ones, are gone. I hope I now deleted any of them here]

No comments: