Mar 26, 2012

No Monster Club - Dublin

Are you in a hurry ? You can give right now a listen to a few tracks from this release straight from the band's Bandcamp. You can also order the release as vinyl from many various places here or there, including the band's official website, or from their label, CF Records.

Ahem. Reviewing albums is an hard work to do. What can I say to express as exactly as possible how great I think an album is ? You may know, I love No Monster Club. A major band, undoubtedly. I love their spectorian wall-of-sound approach of production, mixed with a major lo-fi influence. I love their killer melodies, their awesome rhythmic patterns, the overall quality of musical writing.

So then, you probably guessed, this No Monster Club release is, actually, what you can expect from such a great band.

If you are already a No Monster Club fan, you can go on without any major problem. This is still Ye Olde No Monster Club, with any of the elements that you were loving in their music in the past.

If you are not a No Monster Club fan, well, I ain't no sure. No Monster Club is a band of a kind that requires some prerequisites in order to love it. Give a listen to a few tracks using the previously given link and make yourself your own opinion.

But for me... Word, this release is ***** great. I like a lot the way the band evolves. While keeping strongly faithful to their own sound, they are nevertheless slightly putting new things in their music, over time. And I like them, for sure. What I noticed for this release is a little more clearly viewable use of some experimental tricks, but don't panic, the whole thing remains what you can expect from the band - and that's why so many people like it so much.

I do not rate records here. When I review a record, this means that it is an excellent one. It has been my golden rule since I started writing for Underketing, and it still is. So then, I do not rate records. But if I had to give a few stars to this one, ... Oh never mind, you know what I want to express. This release is HUGE ! There will never be enough stars available to rate such an album.

I hope this release will eventually be made available in digital format. Maybe such a thing is likely to happen within a few months, when some vinyl albums got sold... But for now if you want to get your hand on it, vinyl is the only option. So, basically, if you want to be one of the early adopters of this excellent record, you'll have to buy it in the most cumbersome mean to store sounds ever invented... And besides this, if you want to listen to it, you'll have to get access to one of these ancient devices used to play such records. (Unless you get it from the label, in such case you'll get a download code) [UPDATE : Download code is included when buying the release from the band, as well]

So, you'll have to deserve the access to this release. Your reward will be to be among the selected few ones who actually got the release.

In any case - providing you listened to the excerpts that are available and liked how the band is sounding on this album - I can say you will be perfectly happy once you get this album in your collection. A must have garage-pop mixture, for which saying it will print a deep footprint in mankind's culture history is only an euphemism.

No comments: