Mar 12, 2012

Devolt - Grey

Are you in a hurry ? You can find this release for download from many online music stores. And, it is streamable from Deezer.

I met Devolt with their previous EP, 'Supernatural Disaster', which was pretty much good. When I heard about their new album, I was a bit afraid. 'Supernatural Disaster' was excellent. Would the next release be as good, or maybe, better ?

But, when I started to listen to the studio version of 'Raining On Me' which is the first song of the release - I already heard a live version of this song - , I quickly knew that once again, Devolt ended up with an excellent release.

Just because, this band is huge. I could name-drop a bit, and Hüsker Dü and Nirvana would be among the name dropped. But I will try to explain how good this album is in a different way.

This release is packed with energy and melody. Especially, talking about melodies, Devolt is mastering the thing. But, when talking about the energy, they are pretty much here too. At ease on many different tempos, the band is both coherent and versatile.

You may wonder, and how about the production ? The production is a good one. Simple and efficient, for an overall result that sounds very natural. Nevertheless, very professional, and, if I had to sum up, excellent.

But what I like the most on this release, is the way the vocals evolved since the previous EP. More emotion, but never sounding fake. For the other components of its sound, Devolt is just as good as before. The new bassist is doing his job well. For everything else, well, this is our plain ol' Devolt, drums that rock and sharp guitar lines.

You know, when I review something here, you can be pretty sure this is a must-have. An excellent album. A milestone in history of music. And, yeah, this album is all of these. Simply. I wrote I was afraid... I had big hopes. The band didn't betray them. Devolt is the kind of band that counts. The kind of band that matters. The kind of band I review here, simply. You know, I ain't got no time to waste writing about albums that would be only average, or just a bit good. If I decide to invest some precious minutes of my life spreading the word about a band, you can be pretty sure that it is an excellent one.

Well, I'm not that fond of the ballad... Yeah, there's a ballad on this release. But when I look at the score, the general score for the album, well, it is quite high. And, maybe, you will like the ballad. I don't know. But what I know, is that, if you take the time to scroll back to the top of this message to use the provided link and give the release a listen, at a minimum you will then be aware of what is your own opinion about a band that starts where so many other bands end.

Did I mention that these guys are French ? Singing in English ? That they played live in famous rock'n'roll clubs in Los Angeles, that they toured in the UK, and that I love their music a lot ? Oh, for the later point you probably guessed it.

No comments: