Mar 26, 2012

Icon Girl Pistols - Goodbye Donuts (Hey, Statue of Liberty)

Are you in a hurry ? This release is available from some major online record stores, such as iTunes and Amazon MP3. Alternatively, you can order the CD directly from the band's official website.

This release was issued in October 2011. This is a follow-up to "New Currency" (the previous album), which was itself a follow-up to an EP and numerous singles.

I discovered Icon Girl Pistols with "Single Collection 2010", which was previously reviewed here. When the newest release was issued, I wasn't still as fond of this band as I am now, and I didn't manage to get the release immediately. But a few month after this, during which I had been listening to the band's music and enjoying it, I decided I had to get Goodbye Donuts, just, you know, in order to see how the band was evolving.

To be true, this is a video posted by the band - a video of Techno Star Jet - that triggered in me the process of thinking about the idea of obtaining the newest release. The video is quite noisy, the song is not on the newest album, and I was thinking "it seems Icon Girl Pistols sounds a bit noisier nowadays, maybe I should listen to the newest release".

The release is not as noisy as the new video. Instead of that, you get seven excellent rock songs, well written and well performed, and recorded in a professional way. Maybe the band is noisier when playing live, I don't know. But Goodbye Donuts is likely to be liked by people who enjoyed "Single Collection 2010", and I am among them.

If I had to sum up, this release still makes me think of some of my favourite records from the 70's pre-punk NY Scene, as it used to happen to me previously, with this band.

But there's also another kind of music that this release makes me think of. An album that is among the one I love the best, and with which this 'Goodbye Donuts (Hey, Statue of Liberty)' has some aspects in commons, according to me. This is "Parallel Lines", the 1978 album of Blondie, which, while coming from the NY Scene, already evolved into something different.

There's things that are shared by both releases. Such as the clearly audible search of perfection, talking about melodies, being vocal ones or guitar solos and riffs. The power and the energy packed in the songs. An overall subtlety that is too rare nowadays...

The result being an album for which I had no choice : I have to review it here, according to my approach of reviewing which currently is, basically, to talk about the best releases I know, no matter how poorly gifted I am when talking about writing on music.

Listening to this album is strongly, really strongly suggested. Why do you think I write all these reviews here ? The few albums I review have simply the highest value among what I discovered during the previous years. They are, according to me, masterpieces. One thing I could do was to testify how good they are, in the hope that a few ones will read the reviews and enjoy the albums as I do.

So please, if you have a valid interest in my opinion, start listening to Icon Girl Pistols today. Depending on your taste, you may encounter one of your all-time favourites.

No comments: