Jul 5, 2012

Various Artists - Popical Island #3

Are you in a hurry ? Well, I can perfectly understand this. No need to read further. Instead of that, head to Popical Island's Bandcamp where you can stream this compilation, pay to download it, or buy it on hand-painted CDs or tapes.

Popical Island is a music organisation located in Ireland. And this compilation, which is, to sum up, simply excellent, draws a quick landscape of the best among what Ireland has to offer nowadays.

I'm not talking about beer or tourism. I'm talking about this very interesting pop rock scene, part lofi, part influenced by early 80's UK punky/new wave pop bands such as XTC, The Tourists, Joe Jackson or Elvis Costello. The latest is very audible on the b-side of the compilation.

And, ahem, well, this compilation rocks. As of per usual when I meet a release of such a quality, I'm speechless. Oh yeah, you get No Monster Club, Land Lovers, and even Grand Pocket Orchestra singing in French on the same record ! Believe me, trust me, trust my advice and give this awesome release a listen. Many years in the future, you'll be able to say 'oh yeah I heard of this scene with Popical #3' and you'll instantly deserve huge respect from all your friends.

Because something huge is happening in Ireland nowadays. Just look at the excellent Irish releases that where reviewed here in the past few months, Land Lovers, No Monster Club, Desperadow or Grand Pocket Orchestra to name a few bands. Today's Irish scene really know how things have to be done in order to end up with great records. Not just great, indeed, but to be true to use my favorite words, "milestones in history of music".

And today, you are given an opportunity to discover this astonishing musical maelstrom that is rocking Ireland nowadays. Just pure gems. I slightly prefer the B side, but the A side is quite good too. In any case, if you don't go back to the top of this post in order to click on the provided streaming link, it is useless to come back here, you are no longer my friend.

But if you do so, I love you. And you'll come back here to thank me.

No comments: